Medical Students' Center
Welcome to home base for medical students training in Samaritan Medical Centers.
READ THIS to begin your Psychiatry rotation; return to it anytime.
It includes information on expectations, grading, and recommended resources.
The rest of the page below provides links to important resources you'll use during this rotation.
Chart Review Guide: what information to gather from the chart before new patient evaluation
Psychotherapy: a webpage describing forms of psychotherapy and how to learn about them on this rotation
Aptius Instructions : a guide to using our televideo system for observing psychotherapy
Interview templates: optional Word documents to use while interviewing patients
Formal Goals/Objectives: a webpage detailing what we're expecting this rotation to accomplish
Evaluation Form: a Word document your supervisors will be asked to complete, regarding your work on this rotation
- Introduction to Psychiatric Differential Diagnosis (how to think through the 5 main problem areas)
(this says Psychosis in Primary Care but it's really an overview of psychiatric interviewing for ddx)
- SBIRT: the Oregon program for annual screening for depression, alcohol, and drug use problems.
Everyone gets one yearly. You may be asked to do some of this screening in your primary care clinic.
- PHQ-9: that's the form itself. Here's a version with interpretive guides: PHQ-9 +
- Safety Assessment: a rough outline for what/how to screen for safety-related problems
University of Washington Primary Care Mental Health Webinars
- Motivational Interviewing (MI Readiness for Change Ruler)
- Behavioral Activation Therapy
- Entire menu of talks
Samaritan Mental Health
- YouTube videos of things you may not see
- Carl Rogers' classic interview
- Online Problem-solving Therapy (from the Veteran's Administration; free to all)
- Social Anxiety: great intro video, from diagnosis to treatment
- Great 10-minute video on Cognitive Behavioral approach to hoarding (scroll to "Downward Arrow" technique)
- Great description of Interpersonal Psychotherapy
- Blueprints Series' Psychiatry text ($43)
- Dr. Lissman's list of useful documents
(click the paperclip, the right-most of the icons, for MOCA, DSM at a glance, MoodCheck, C/L guidelines, and more)
- Psychopharmacology fundamentals (as of 1/2014, just antipsychotics, but very well done, more to come)
Guides for Faculty